Friday, June 25, 2010

Normalizing?

NASA once did an experiment in which they had astronauts wear convex goggles that inverted their vision (meaning up became down, down became up) at all times. This obviously caused extreme disorientation for awhile, but by about a month into the experiment the astronauts had gotten used to it, and this new down-up, up-down world was normal. This anecdote (a cursory google search turned up no concrete information about it) is used by many self-help gurus to illustrate how we can always change what we view as "normal."

I think this is what has finally happened to me (about a month in too). Bangladesh no longer seems completely foreign and bizarre. I no longer feel the urge to document everything I see as evidence of what felt like an alien world. Like this morning, I took a rickshaw by myself, the driver totally misunderstood me and ended up taking me in a big circle. While on the rickshaw I saw numerous sights that would have previously been a shock to the system (2 men w/ about 40 dead chickens in the baskets on their head, people having a picnic on the sidewalk, toddlers sleeping on piles of dirt on the side of the road) but that now just seemed like another day in Dhaka.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sarah! You just proved my CHID senior thesis. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And also, a preemptive "good luck" coming back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should send me your thesis, I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Erin will not jump at this chance for self-promotion, so it's the first thesis listed on this page:
    http://depts.washington.edu/chid/past_theses

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha! Raven was right. In retrospect, I feel like my thesis was a bit sloppy, although I still support my hypothesis!

    ReplyDelete