Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dhaka to Delhi

I'm in India! This means I made it through my summer in Bangladesh (almost -- I still have one night there on my way back to America).
I am definitely still reflecting upon my time there, and am just so grateful for the experience. All things considered it has been a wonderful and life-changing summer.
I spent the last few days wrapping up loose ends and saying my goodbyes. Leaving Ayub and Sayed was very hard and I definitely cried when I said goodbye to them. I was still crying while standing in line at the airport, and the man in line next to me turned around, raised his eyebrows and said, "you're scared of flying?"

I had a 4 hour layover in the Kolkata airport which was pretty terrible. I arrived at the international terminal and after a few wrong turns realized I needed to get to domestic one. I headed outside to look for a tram and it was completely pouring down rain and I was surrounded by men trying to get me to take a taxi. Everything was pretty crazy, and I also had not managed to get any rupees yet. Eventually I managed to get a taxi driver to drive me to the domestic terminal for a few American dollars (the first guy I talked to wanted $10.00! While at the domestic terminal (which was not even as nice as the Dhaka airport) I got eaten alive by mosquitoes and am still recovering from that today.

Arriving in Delhi was pretty surreal as it is a very nice airport, and is definitely the fanciest thing I've seen in a few months. I finally found the guy from my hotel amongst the nearly hundred of men with signs for new arrivals. We headed out to the hotel and I finally started to relax until... the driver slowly pulled off the freeway and stopped the car. I was like "WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!" and he in his very limited english said something about another driver coming, and I was like "I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!" and so he called the other driver who was picking up my mom, and they put my mom on the phone and she explained how she had just arrived and the driver she was with was coming to meet us. This obviously eased my mind considerably although it was still strange being reunited with my mom on the side of the road somewhere in Delhi.

We arrived at our bed & Breakfast around 1AM completely exhausted.

Today it rained for hours and hours in the morning, flooding the road in front of the B&B leading to a very uneventful morning. Later in the day we got in touch with the travel guide that had been recommended to us and they sent a car for us. We met with them and got the rest of our trip planned out. I have a feeling it's going to be an amazing 2 weeks.

After that we went to a Hindu temple and then dinner. All in all I really love India so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment